Server is a very subjective term for me. To me, a server is anything that runs services to be used by other computers. Granted, this definition turns every computer I own into a server (since they run P2P apps (And I mean old-skool peer-to-peer windows smb networking kind – not that new fangled stuff)). So I guess my definition should be something like:
A computer that primarily runs services to be accessed by other computers.
There, now under that definition, only my Genesis box qualifies for ‘server’ status. It runs Win2k Server with MS Exchange on it. Great test bed for a windows applications. It used to be a suse box, but eventually (about 2 months ago) I realized I needed a MS box back for some house-running tasks (i.e. home automation, Linksys media server, etc..). So I’ve been missing my linux box. But today, a new day is at hand:
THE DAY OF 2 SERVERS. Yes, I now have 2 “servers” in the house (sitting right next to each other actually). The new server’s name is Bleedin
gHeart, taken from a picture of some pretty flowers on this month’s Avon catelog (Yes, Karey is your Avon Source.). BH will be running Red Hat 9, and I’m unsure what services it may offer to the outside world. Its deffinetly not a file server (It only has a 3 gig hard drive), but as a small web server / test server, it should be fine. I’m setting it up to do nifty geeky things (ask details if you really want to) from a network level. I’m pretty psyched. Its rare I can still get excited over technology…
So if you’re interested, here is the current Jon Computer Tally:
1. Genesis Server (Pentium 2, 256 MB Memory, Around 54 Gig of storage, Win2K Server)
2. BleedingHeart Server (Pentium, very small memory, former IBM Aptiva owned by Ashley – Thanks for the donation!, Red Hat 9)
3. MRKrabs (Laptop) (Pentium 4, 1 GB Memory, 40 GB HD, Win XP Pro)
4. JWestfall (Tablet) (Pentium 4 / Centrino, 512 MB Memory, 60 GB HD, Win XP Pro / Tablet)
5. Acer Extensa Laptop (Pentium 2, 64 MB Ram, Windows 98, Spare laptop for visitors)
6. CTX Laptop (My original laptop, then my moms, now back in my possession. Pentium, 16 MB Ram, not used much anymore)
7. Compaq LTE Elite (486, 4 MB Ram, Gift from Karey’s dad. Very Small – So Small I used it when MRKrabs was in the Hospital last october for email che
cks / surfing!)
8. HP IPaq 6315 (Named, unorginally right now, Pocket_PC).
9. An old Packard Bell I got this weekend that may not work since I slid down 4 steps with it under my arm and smacked it down. Its in my trunk. It was donated to me by the same great people who donated BH to me.
10. A pentium 2 with a 4 GB HD and 64 MB of RAM that lives in Parma running Win XP Pro. My dad uses it for his daily email deletion and map generation.
So what’s next? Well, I got my eyes on a motorola smartphone coming out that’s techincally a pocket PC, but I have to save up for that one. Karey’s been squaking about her computer, so maybe in the next year she’ll acquire a new one and I’ll have another one to add to my collection.
Eternally a geek I suppose.
Ok, Here is a pop quiz. It draws from various websites that I visit often. First person to email me the answers gets twelve hundred screaming weasels in a bag or a twist-tie, your choice:
- If Strong Bad went back to 1936, he’d find a small, short, yellow creature called ____ ________ that quite resembles his current lakey.
- According to a well-respected website that carries WENN entertainment news, Courtney Love had her apartment burgled recently. This website is also known for its daily trivia and a section called Studio Briefs. It is ____ ____.
- _________ ________ is the owner of an empire of websites dedicated to Pocket PCs, Digital Media, Smartphones, and more. I post on two of the three sites as … what else… dadarkmcse
- Getting its name from a bastardization of the F-word, this site provides some of the strangest headlines in my day: ______.com
- Whenever I need to see my favorite celebrities mug shots, I always head over to _____ ________ _____
- This site, which shares that
same name as the object Shrek compares Ogres to, is my favorite place to drop for a quick laugh: ____ ________
- I always head to __________.com for the goods to debunk any urban legend I hear
- ___-________.com has all the info on my favorite pocket pc device!
- _______.com is where I find out all I ever needed to know about the world’s greatest artist to ever record an album named Poodle Hat
- ntfaq.com and ________._________.com help me find information out and be a “tech Guru” among friends and students. If people figure these out, I’m sunk as a miracle worker
Ok, so there is the quiz. Now here are some rather disturbing links I’ve found in my travels lately:
- Sinulate The World’s first internet-controlable sex toy. I think I found a link to this on a “weird technology” page and it amazes me that someone implemented it. Great – another thing you REALLY don’t want hackers gaining control of. Warning: Adult Content
- Get A Tour Of the White House from the President and his buddies. Quite interesting, but requires real player – yuck!
- Albinoblacksheep Some interesting flash movies and such on this site!
- A Good Chicken Marsala Recipe!
- PocketPcLinks.com and PocketPCThemes.com are some great sites for PPC enthusiasts
So there is my “Everything Post” for tonight. Good Evening Folks!